ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Goodbye to Rick Stevens AAV-409

Post by Michael Blakely »

I'm sad to announce the passing of Rick Steven, AAV-409 on July 26.

Rick had been with AAVirtual for over 12 years, had achieved all ranks and endorsements, and continued to fly until just a few weeks ago. Rick served on our checkpilot team up till early 2012, grading hundreds of new and member pilot checkrides. Rick also supported Wayne Pierce at the launch of the KDFW training hub for new pilots in 2011. Rick was a major presence online at VATSIM and our AAV GFIs. He was also a member of the "Tour across the USA (and part of Canada)" GFI crew.

It would be a fitting tribute to share any memories you have of Rick in this thread.

I will "retire" Rick, his account, and his legacy to our KPSP hub shortly.
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Hub: KPHX
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3563.3
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Re: Goodbye to Rick Stevens AAV-409

Post by Harold Henderson »

"Hotel Echo Victor November tower, American 409 on final runway 3-6."

"American 409, cleared to land runway 3-6."

"Beautiful landing, American 409. Take the first exit and taxi to the gate. Welcome to Heaven, Good Buddy."

I knew and flew with Rick Stevens since about 2005. He and I had a lot of time in GFIs struggling together with the original Coolsky MD80. We grew close trying to figure out the PMS (Performance Management System) and ONS (Omega/VLF Navigation System) and other peculiarities of that bird. Flying this steam gauge MD-80 was always guaranteed to be stressfully "exciting", but we got to where we could handle that plane pretty good. We had fun together.

Then, there were several years of Saturday morning's spent in GA flying with Rick, Wayne Pierce, Ted Martin, and Sergio Sanchez (sometimes). We explored the world but seemed to spend a lot of time in California and western national parks with Wayne's Guided Tours and Railroads. We all had fun together enjoying the company of one another. There was even a gathering of the whole bunch in Dallas, TX - http://aavirtual.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ck#p144251

Rick, Ted, and I sort of made up a little sub-club in AAV as we were all the same age. Rick's birthday came in January, followed quickly by mine in February. Ted eventually caught up with us later in the year. I would really rather follow Rick than be in the lead. Rick was a good leader - in our birthday club and in AAV. Rick gave back.

Rick and his wife stopped by my home once several years ago - before he lost her. We had a good meal together at Chili's. Friends - though we had never met in person. That's what AAV and a shared passion for flying does - it makes friends.

Rick was a gentleman. He was a good person. He was a friend. He will be sorely missed.

There's a story about Muhammad Ali flying commercially when the Captain came on the intercom and asked the passengers to be sure their seat belts were secure as they were expecting some moderate turbulence. The stewardess noticed Ali did not have his seat belt on and asked him to buckle up. Ali responded, "Superman don't need no seat belt." The stewardess without missing a beat responded, "Superman don't need no airplane either."

I'm a Christian. I believe there's a God who judges justly and mercifully. I believe there's a heaven and hell. That decision is way above my pay grade, but if it had been up to me, Rick would definitely have made that approach and landing into Heaven yesterday. And, what's more, he would have been the envy of the eagles as he didn't need no airplane either.

Till we meet again you will be remembered, "Good Buddy".
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Todd Meek
Position: KLAX Hub Manager
Hub: KPHX
Residence: Grand Prairie, TX (KDFW)
AAV Total Hours: 2806
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KSNA
COMPLETED KSNA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KPDX
COMPLETED KPDX-KAUS
ASA163 KAUS-KSEA
ASA694 KSEA-KGEG
ASA989 KGEG-KSEA
ASA660 KSEA-KDFW
AAL2292 KDFW-KJFK
AAL1487 KJFK-KPHX

Post by Todd Meek »

Rick will be missed. I didn't make the GFI's as much as I would like to, but work schedule sometimes gets in the way. Rick was always a pleasure to fly with and did make it entertaining at times. When I first joined the check ride team before I became a Hub Manager, Rick is the one that sent me the software that we used at the time to grade the check rides. He also included his phone number so I could call him and he walked me through how to do it and what we were looking for. Great guy and very easy to get along with. I'm sure he will be missed by all of us here at AAV. He was a very big part of AAV. Rest well in Heaven Rick.
ImageImage
KLAX Hub Manager
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8

Post by Theodore Martin »

Rick was a great friend even before we met face to face. As Harold mentioned, AAV does that. I flew with Rick at least twice a week on the GFI's, then I joined the Saturday GA flights with him, Wayne, Harold, and Sergio. We had such a great time flying, enjoying the scenery (they all had Orbx FTX and I finally broke down and purchased as well), and listening to stories told by Rick and Wayne. Rick was great at geography and telling us what river or lake we were flying over.

I finally Met Rick when he came to Dallas and we all got together. He was such a nice guy and a friend to everyone he met. Sergio, Harold, Rick and myself sat there for hours enjoying snacks and laughing. I have missed having him on the GFI's and sorely missed hearing him coming though my headset.

Rick we will all meet again....
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Norberto Rivera
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CLT Commander Extraordinaire
Hub: RETIRED
Residence: Sterling, VA
AAV Total Hours: 2667.4
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPSP-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KSHV
COMPLETED KSHV-KDFW
AAL2731 KDFW-KPSP

Post by Norberto Rivera »

Sad news indeed. I enjoyed many online flights with Rick and company, even though, like many of us, I can't seem to make them as often as I'd like. Rick always had a way of making you chuckle. We constantly pick on each other and our questionable virtual flying abilities, or lack thereof. Our cross-continental tour Mike mentioned will always be a treasured memory. We will miss you Rick. Clear skies and following winds my friend. American 409 resume own navigation.

P.S. I see the flight for tomorrow is to Rick's home airport of Tulsa, OK. I will do my best to make it.
Norberto "Bert" Rivera
AAV476
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
"I'm not a real pilot, but I play one on VATSIM"
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
"Sarcasm is just one more service I offer"

Current bid theme: Random Airbus Bid
Check out my aircraft pics on Flightaware.
Arturo Carvajal
Screenshot Contest Winner x8
Screenshot Contest Winner x8
Position: Pilot
Hub: KMIA
Residence: Ecuador
AAV Total Hours: 10523
Previous VA Hours: 315
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-MMPR
COMPLETED MMPR-MMMX
COMPLETED MMMX-MMMD
COMPLETED MMMD-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-KCLT
COMPLETED KCLT-KMEM
AAL1018 KMEM-KDFW
AAL1836 KDFW-KPHX

Post by Arturo Carvajal »

Sad News!.
Rick help me with all check rides.
A gentelmen!
ImageImage
Robert Shepherd
Hub: KJFK
Residence: Kettering, OH
AAV Total Hours: 1243.8
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KACK
COMPLETED KACK-KBOS
COMPLETED KBOS-KLGA
COMPLETED KLGA-KDAY
JIA5015 KDAY-KPHL
PDT4833 KPHL-KISP
PDT4833 KISP-KPHL
RPA4443 KPHL-KDTW
SKW3166 KDTW-KORD
AAL52 KORD-KJFK

Post by Robert Shepherd »

This is sad news indeed... Even though this summertime, its' chores and activities, have taken me away from flying in our GFI's every Friday night... I will miss Rick greatly. I never met Rick in person but I can hear his calm, mellow voice over TeamSpeak as we bantered and glibly poked fun at each other; all of us... A few times Rick and I would show up at a GFI airport early (not too often for me) and we had a few casual conversations, just as if we were sitting on a porch somewhere while we waited for the rest of the company to make their appearance. ... It's truly wonderful how our hobby can bring people together who have never met and yet still develop such a camaraderie between us all.

Sometimes we can take things for granted; I took for granted that all of the company of great pilots that I flew with every Friday night would always be there. Now we are down a good man, a great pilot and a gentleman. You will be missed Rick Stevens...

Clear skies and tailwinds for you 'buddy'...
Last edited by Robert Shepherd on 07-29-2016 11:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Shepherd
AAV314

Greg Gemelli
Hub: KORD
Residence: Boise, ID
AAV Total Hours: 1299.4

Post by Greg Gemelli »

I remember when Rick got started here at AAV and back in the days when I used to participate in the GFIs quite a bit more. He was a salt of the earth guy and loved aviation. Had more than a few nights just flying around, chatting about the nuances of the PMDG products or navigation. We are all passionate about flight here so that was usually the topic. Rick will be missed! Godspeed sir!!
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2537.2
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
AAL1191 KMIA-MZBZ
AAL926 MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

Been away for a long time. I was installing liveries from our download section and came across a thank you to all who helped in the notes section. I had a flash back as soon as I read all the names from the "old crew". It makes me sad to hear of Rick's passing. I know this news is not new to you all, but it is to me. Makes me sad. It also amazes me that through all the wires and digital space, we're all connected through our passion for our hobby and aviation. Even if I'm not online very often, I do think of the AAV folks often. Can't imagine not ever being associated with y'all.