This is why I have a simulator crash sometimes

Have a technical question about flying? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Sondheimer, Wayne Pierce

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

This is why I have a simulator crash sometimes

Post by Wayne Pierce »

For those whom have some payware aircraft, i.e. PMDG and you use an addon program to make a flight plan this is what PMDG says in the manual, (yes, I am reading it)
External route export programs:
Flight plan .rte files created with external flight planning programs or websites will have the runways, SIDs, STARs and approaches contained within them stripped when importing into the FMC, resulting in just the enroute portion being entered. Routes saved with the FMC itself will still retain these items.
This was done because these programs in many cases insert nonsensical terminal procedure data that will either crash the FMC or cause general weirdness in the route. In addition, COROUTES do not contain runways and terminal procedures in real life because they often change with the prevailing winds and the day’s departure routing. The runways, SIDs, STARs and approaches are manually entered by the crew when assigned by ATC, even if a COROUTE was used for the enroute portion of the flight..
I have unexplained CTD (crash to desktop) when using the FMC in payware aircraft and when the flight plan is made by my FSCOMMANDER program. And I always wondered why the whole flight plan was never imported. That is why FSCommander says to click NO when saving a flight plan to PMDG. This happens not only in PMDG A/C but some others I have.

Thanks,
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Re: This is why I have a simulator crash sometimes

Post by Theodore Martin »

That's an interesting point Wayne. I've never used FSCommander to create flight plans for my payware a/c. I normally paste the flight plan into FSCommander from FlightAware or from your GFI flight planning data and save it before I enter the SID's/STAR's for FSCommander and FSX. I normally enter the flight plan into the FMC by hand (helps me to understand the FMC behavior). And now that you mention it the only CTD's I get are due to my NVidia display driver.

I guess old habits never die.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage