Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Boise, ID
AAV Total Hours: 1299.4
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

VATSIM Setup Info for new pilots

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Flying online is a very fun part of our hobby. This can add another element of realism to the FS experience and increase the excitement level at times. However to get to enjoy this there is a little bit of extra work, in the form of system set-up, that we must do first. The purpose of this thread is to get all the information you need for getting online with VATSIM in one place and hopefully provide that information as clearly as possible. So.....Here we go.

The first thing you need to do is get registered with VATSIM and you can do that here: Go to VATSIM Note: VATSIM has a policy of not accepting e-mail addresses that are from yahoo or hotmail. If this is all you have I suggest, just setting up a basic (Free) Netzero account. The netzero e-mail works fine.

2) Ok you have you VATSIM PID# now and are ready to get rolling with getting the programs required for Connecting to VATSIM. Here is what you will need.

REQUIRED-
Squawkbox 3- ( this is the current software for FS2002 and FS9) this is avaliable here SB3 Client This download is a self installing file...so all you need to do is run the installer and poof you are good to go :). SB3 includes all the model/texture files also so you no longer need to install any aircraft packages to see other aircraft online :). Finally the voice communication software is also integrated into SB3...so it will install you voice modules also.

After running the SB3 installer... PLEASE, take some time to read the SB3 manual... view it here SB3 Manual

FSUIPC- This cool little program allows FS to communicate with other associated programs, like Squawkbox. It is required and can be found here: Click Me! The newest version of FSUIPC is vs 3.47 and this is avaliable for free, but I highly recommend (if you can afford it) to think about registering it. The way the free version is set up is it requires a code for each program you want it to work with and entering all the codes can be a little confusing and all the codes have to be entered perfectly or FSUIPC doesn't recognize the programs its supposed to. If you have the $20, just save yourself the headache.....FSUIPC is utilized by so many add-ons I promise you will get your moneys worth. However the SB3.exe that installs SB3 for you will include FSUIPC and the needed code for SB3 to operate if you do not already have FSUIPC installed

With the above programs you have the basics covered. The rest are optional, but I highly recommend them all.

Roger Wilco (RW): Roger Wilco is another Voice Client that is avaliable. It does the same thing as AVC (this is integrated into SB3), but seems to be a bit more CPU friendly. AVC is the recommended client, but if after trying it you are experiencing voice issues...please try Roger Wilco. Also RW is not required to be connected to VATSIM to work...so it is a great program to have if you just want to be able to talk to others when not online! Get RW here: Click Me!

Servinfo- Finally this program, Servinfo, is a must have. It communicates with all the VATSIM servers and gives you all sorts of information. What Pilots and ATC are online, what they are/or going. It tells you which servers are online and which RW (Roger Wilco) Channels are in use. It shows the location of all air traffic control areas and displays all this info on a very helpful map. You must first download Version 2.0 ....then get the Upgrade to version 2.1 Get it Here!!

This is just a beginning....but I wanted to get something up that had this VATSIM info on it. If there are any questions with the process of getting setup for VATSIM please e-mail me with them; I am happy to do all I can to help. E-Mail Greg Gemelli
Last edited by Greg Gemelli on 03-28-2005 04:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Robert Shepherd
Position: Pilot
Hub: KJFK
Residence: Kettering, OH
AAV Total Hours: 1243.8
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KACK
COMPLETED KACK-KBOS
COMPLETED KBOS-KLGA
COMPLETED KLGA-KDAY
JIA5015 KDAY-KPHL
PDT4833 KPHL-KISP
PDT4833 KISP-KPHL
RPA4443 KPHL-KDTW
SKW3166 KDTW-KORD
AAL52 KORD-KJFK

Thanks!

Post by Robert Shepherd »

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to post this little 'essay':D

Between your info here and with what John J. Moore has been helping me with I think I might be ready to take the plunge into online flying.

Has does all this stuff work if you're still in the 56K Modem realm, and do all these programs running in the background affect the performance of FS9?

Thanks again!!!