super80 frustrations

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2546.9
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
COMPLETED KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

super80 frustrations

Post by Rey Ramon »

I purchased the coolsky super80 professional for fsx when it came out. I've never been able to fly it properly. I've followed the training lessons for setting up the fms. I can enter everything okay as far as the route goes, but the autopilot just doesn't kick in when it comes time to flying. When i press the nav button, the NAV indicator will come on the EFIS for a split second, the will default to VOR navigation. I don't understand. I've set the irs as per the training lessons. I've gone thru the lessons several times. I also have troubles with entering the fuel weights as well. I thought I finally had it, but when I try to enable VNAV, nothing happens. It's very frustrating. I can't wait until the NGX is released. I can't do all my flights in the LVLD!
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
COMPLETED KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Re: super80 frustrations

Post by Rey Ramon »

Another couple of things I just noticed. I am using the vertical climb to reach my cruise altitude. Well i had it set for 320 and well..i'm now approaching FL400. So that isn't working either. Also, Map display is not moving. It is frozen. I can change heading, and the heading bug changes, but the map shows i'm still at KDCA though I departed 30 minutes ago. Very Frustrated indeed.
Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2929.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Rey Ramon wrote:I purchased the coolsky super80 professional for fsx when it came out. I've never been able to fly it properly. I've followed the training lessons for setting up the fms. I can enter everything okay as far as the route goes, but the autopilot just doesn't kick in when it comes time to flying. When i press the nav button, the NAV indicator will come on the EFIS for a split second, the will default to VOR navigation. I don't understand. I've set the irs as per the training lessons. I've gone thru the lessons several times. I also have troubles with entering the fuel weights as well. I thought I finally had it, but when I try to enable VNAV, nothing happens. It's very frustrating. I can't wait until the NGX is released. I can't do all my flights in the LVLD!
Rey, the super 80 is a great A/C to fly. I had the same problems as you until Our own "Uncle harold" showed me the tricks.

First I had to make sure the Nav radios align themsleves. Set up in the set up to Fast Align. DON'T MOVE the plane while this is happening, then put them on Nav activation. This will prevent the Auto pilot from working at all if it is not done!

You really have to look at the readouts above the gauges and tapes that tell if the altitude is on or not. This is one of the craft where you have to sort of double click on the ALT button or the Heading button to get to the correct setting. It will say if the Altitude setting is captured or not. When you bring up the checklist showing the setting for flaps and speed bugs in the precheck from the Super Pro master control panel. use the weight that shows in the check list. Usually 110. The GROSS weight you cannot put in, it does it automatically I believe. Use that also to configure the fuel.
When the FMC is all set with all the data it needs it will show a statement as "pre flight complete", then it will work no problem. :?:

The Map display will stop when the FMC and the Ottopilot stop communicating. I have it happen sometimes if it is not set up right.
I was really frustrated until I did what "Uncle Harold" said and now it works everytime with no problem. If you need help we can go over it together on line with AAV TS at the same time like "Uncle Harold" did with me.
:D
Last edited by Wayne Pierce on 05-13-2009 11:46 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
COMPLETED KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

Well I installed the latest updates for the super 80 pro. I also followed the tutorial from the coolsky website. My plane can not capture the nav trk. I may have skipped one step in aligning the irs. My altitude will now capture, but my nvav still will not work. I may try again later tonight if i have time. perhaps i missed a step with the vnav. I don't think I did as i tried it three times with to no avail. oh well. it is a joy to fly though just by hand. reminds me of all those aal flights i've had in the super80.
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

Rey - also don't forget you have to select your departing runway in the FMC. I think it is the takeoff page that shows you what you are lacking to complete the FMC for takeoff.

Uncle Harold
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
COMPLETED KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

Well I was able to make my first full flight for AAV with the super80 pro finally. I flew DCA to DFW. The Lnav worked perfectly. I still have issues with the Vnav. I was only able to use the vertical speed function. Once at cruise, Vnav would engage, and it even started decent at T/D. But that is it. It switched over to Vertical speed, and the speed switched away from FMS control. It was almost disasterous as vertical speed set itself to -8700 ft/sec and speed at mach .82. Not good. So I will have to pick up on this next week. I work the weekend and won't get a chance to try until then.
Rey
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
COMPLETED KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

Thanks for the imput Sergio. I had done all your suggestions already to no avail. We'll see. Maybe uncle Harold will have to help me next week. Glad you guys had fun at the GFI today. I'm at work now. Two more nights!
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3178
Current Bid: COMPLETED KDFW-MKJS
AAL1248 MKJS-KMIA
AAL1276 KMIA-KDFW

Post by Theodore Martin »

Sergio Sanchez wrote:Rey,

....If you just reset your altitude but you dont arm it, it will go past it, so you have to be careful. Also, the plane likes to descend at about 1700 fpm... quite steep, so you may have to use speed brakes sometimes.
You call that steep. The FMC in my LevelD 763 normally descends at 3,000 - 4,000 fpm. Always have to use speed brakes.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Wayne Pierce
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2929.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Jeff An MD 81, 82, 83 etc is an MD80 by any other name. One is limited in our Virtual world to what is available by resources and by our pocketbook. The AAV has an MD82 downloadable for use and it is airworthy but I fly the F1 Super Pro and it changes its spots many times and becomes what I believe it to be at the moment. I also have the Maddog and the Jetcity models but the F1 outdoes them all for me.
If a flight calls for a certain aircraft that aircraft is available and most certainly that is what you should fly the route, but if you have an A/C of the same family use it. Your flight FREP is filed using the A/C it calls for.

Here is the F1 Super MD80 Pro
md80.jpg
Here is the AAV MD82
md82.jpg
Here is the AAVMD82 white
md82w.jpg
What is the big difference? :?: Color of Noses and Tails. Count em'

Happy flyin'
Harold Henderson
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

The Super 80 Pro is FSX ONLY. The Super 80 works in FS9 and FSX.
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info