Okay that was a little unfair...

Have a technical question about flying? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Sondheimer, Wayne Pierce

Michael Natale
Position: KORD Hub Manager
Hub: RETIRED
Residence: Florida
AAV Total Hours: 3933.5
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Re: Okay that was a little unfair...

Post by Michael Natale »

I too have to verify frequencies when ever I go somewhere as FS9 is based on Jeppesen 2003 database. Check this out for annoying; 6.5 hours from JFK to EGLL in a 777. I arrive in EGLL terminal airspace at CAT I minimums and the radio all of the sudden dosn't work. No ILS, wasted flight! This is a know bug in my PSS 777. Or anyone flying into or out of KSEA with FS9 knows that it's misssing a prominent runway. I've learned to look for all these pit fulls during pre-flight now Chris, don't worry, you are not the only one that's been had.....part of the fun I guess
Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

I can understand your frustration here.
Yes the chart is correct and the FS program is wrong. This is a case of Micrsoft dropping the ball on updates for the FS program when they stopped their ACES division.
Your are not the first and not the last to find this out.

There is a corrected 2nd officer checkride, but has not been put up on the net yet for download. Things take time.
Here is the corrected version of that part.
 At Waco, begin executing the BLEWE TWO arrival, Waco transition (ACT.BLEWE2) into Austin.
Exit the Centex VOR on a heading of 270 degrees and tune the ILS approach frequency for
the Austin runway 17R.
 NOTE: The frequency on the ILS approach chart is incorrect for use in the FS programs. The ILS
frequency for flight simulator use is 110.30.
 At about 5 DME from Centex, turn left to a heading of 205 degrees. Hint: At this point you should be
very close to your glide slope intercept altitude and have the aircraft slowed down in preparation for
the approach.
So take your failed landing checkride as a good practice run.

WLP
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

I would even suggest there should be an intentional "error" in almost every checkride. Expect it. Double check it.

That's real attention-to-detail pilot stuff.
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Harold Henderson
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

Christopher Dahlquist wrote:Ouch...thats cold Harold ... :roll:
You may notice I've completed all checkrides. :D
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Greg Gemelli
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Boise, ID
AAV Total Hours: 1299.4
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Christopher Dahlquist wrote:Ouch...thats cold Harold.

Except in the real world, you would not get on the phone to the destination airport and say "Hey guys...says here in the chart your ILS freq is such and such...is that for real, or are yall gonna change it anytime soon."

Also, in a real world situation such as I was in, with some kind of ILS failure, im sure there would have been some sort of an automatic abort situation, and some negotiations with ATC to get some vectors for resetting for a visual approach or something......which would fail the checkride regardless. :roll:
As soon as the ILS didn't auto-ident we would execute a missed approach via RNAV (GPS) or vectors. This would be immediately followed by asking what the &%$@ was up with their LOC and the expected time in minutes to get it fixed. We would look at alternate approach options to the destination airport; maybe an RNAV option. If nothing had mins low enough we would bug out to the nearest suitable alternate and deal with the prob safely on the ground.

However this said I have never had a Jeppesen chart not have the correct freqs but I have had a LOC fail while on an ILS in IMC. It's not a good feeling being IMC without positive course guidance :)

Cheers
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA