USB Sound Cards

Here's the place to post technical questions about computer systems, optimal performance, hardware upgrades, and how to set the clock on your VCR.

Moderators: Michael Blakely, Todd Meek

Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2544.8
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

USB Sound Cards

Post by Rey Ramon »

So here is a thought. Last night on the GFI, you mentioned that you used USB headsets? Is that correct? I was searching Newegg.com and saw there were USB Sound cards as well. Does anyone have experience with these. I was thinking of picking one up just to handle vatsim ops with a headset, and still have my normal FSX/FS9 sounds come from my speakers.

i was thinking of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829118008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829126101

or
is it better to just get the headset with a usb connection? I've no experience with usb headsets. WIll I be able to use that for strickly vatsim comms (sound and mic), and still keep sim sounds to the speakers? I'm such a noob!
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3178
Current Bid: COMPLETED KDFW-MKJS
AAL1248 MKJS-KMIA
AAL1276 KMIA-KDFW

Re: USB Sound Cards

Post by Theodore Martin »

Rey,
I don't know anything about the USB sound cards but I do use a USB headset (out of necessity). I had a normal mini-plug headset that finally bit the dust so I brought home an old USB headset I had at work that I was not using. So with that headset I can set the VATSIM comms to the headset and still have aircraft sounds coming through my 5.1 speaker system. It has worked well for me and only occasionally I may launch FSX without the USB headset connected and have to reconfigure my voice again to use the headset after plugging it in again.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Rey Ramon wrote:is it better to just get the headset with a usb connection? I've no experience with usb headsets. WIll I be able to use that for strickly vatsim comms (sound and mic), and still keep sim sounds to the speakers? I'm such a noob!
Most, i mean most, computers now have a digital sound built in. You just have to plug in your headset/mic to it with a USB headphone/mic adapter and away you go.

This will allow TSP3 and VATSIM ATC to talk to you on your headset and not thru the main computer speakers. It is a totally different sound system in your computer. The FS sound can be controlled via your sound system for volume and the headset can be controlled separately.

It is great. One just has to tell the programs, TSP and FSINN,SB4 where your listening and talking.

The adapter is very little money, at the right place;

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-A ... 035&sr=8-4

This is the best one and I have told others to get this one.

WLP
Rey Ramon
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2544.8
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will indulge myself in this piece of equipment as I have a perfectly good Turtle Beach (ear force x12) that can fit into that. I'll let you know how it turns out. Also, finally got ATC to hear me. not sure how..but I did.