Tech help

Here's the place to post technical questions about computer systems, optimal performance, hardware upgrades, and how to set the clock on your VCR.

Moderators: Michael Blakely, Todd Meek

Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2544.8
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Tech help

Post by Rey Ramon »

Hey guys. Well my Bday is upon me next month. My wife asked what if I wanted a copy of Call of Duty like I always get. It's something I don't need and it always releases on or about my birthday...so I usually get it. AT any rate, so I think this time around I'm going to focus on my computer. There are three things I'd like to upgrade on my PC that would show me immediate improvements. They are...a new OS (currently running Vista), an SSD, or a graphics card. I'm still running an 8800 GTX, about five or six generations old. Not looking to break the bank either. My choice OS would be windows 7. A question I have is this..when Windows 8 releases..will Windows 7 still be available? or will retailers pull them from their shelves? I assume prices for W7 would drop considering a new OS releasing this week. I think an OS and SSD hand in hand would be ideal. Which makes me lean towards the graphics card, since I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, which means I'm not getting the next super high power card. Actually I was looking at Nvidia's latest release under their new Kepler architecture..The GTX 650 TI. It would give me double the performance of the GTX 8800, but uses less energy, and comes in around $150 (cheaper because no SLi or GPU boost support). The GTX 660 is around $200, but I wasn't looking to spend more than $100 in the first place. Need to squeeze $50 more out of my lovely wife. Other cards comparable in performance, but older technology cost roughly the same amount..like the GTX 560. performance graph here...
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... erformance
..and a semi-professional review here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3l4tX4- ... ature=plcp

thoughts???