Get your Kicks from Route 66

This is the place to post your screenshots!

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Get your Kicks from Route 66

Post by Wayne Pierce »

OK gents thanks to Todd for the pictures now.
I started this flight on VATSIM, no ATC was around so Unicom was the order of the day. As I was a commercial flight with an "airliner" I filed a VFR flight plan for 16,500' using Victor airways. My aircraft really was not set up for IFR type flights.

Comms from taxi and takeoff ensued then The VATSIM wanna-be-police-know-it-all piped in;
The AAL 328 started in on me. The DAL guy was defending my actions then AAL 565 was not giving up on the runway assignment.
Needless to say I quit VATSIM and flew off line. I am AAL783.

Continuing now;
At the gate;

Climbing out of KORD, a snowy day.

Following the Route 66.

Lined up for landing and touchdown;

Bidding good day to the brave Souls who flew with me.

1st Leg of the flight.

Thanks
Greg Gemelli
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Boise, ID
AAV Total Hours: 1299.4

Re: Get your Kicks from Route 66

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Great pics Wayne! Love the DC3!! Sorry ya got a hard time about the VFR. It's nice to shoot for "as real as it gets" but there is also a point where a controller should say, no prob, give you sq. code for flight following out of the Class B and send you happily on your way.

Regarding the RW ORD. They seem to be on a East/West RWY building kick these days. Soon we will have 27L/C/R and 28L/C/R.

Cheers!
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Todd Meek
Position: KLAX Hub Manager
Residence: Grand Prairie, TX (KDFW)
AAV Total Hours: 2806
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KSNA
COMPLETED KSNA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KPDX
COMPLETED KPDX-KAUS
ASA163 KAUS-KSEA
ASA694 KSEA-KGEG
ASA989 KGEG-KSEA
ASA660 KSEA-KDFW
AAL2292 KDFW-KJFK
AAL1487 KJFK-KPHX

Post by Todd Meek »

Thank you for the pics. Very nice. Sorry you had such a hard time online. I fly online all the time, but most of mine are IFR so don't have the VFR issues. Enjoy your next leg.
ImageImage
KLAX Hub Manager
Wayne Pierce
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Victor Cabrales wrote:This is one of the main reasons for why I am not flying online yet. I dont really feel like dealing with all those issues, not yet anyway.
Don't let that reason stop you from VATSIM flying. I kept flying anyway, as soon as they were out of range or landed, all was well. I try to stay away from the large, huge, megatraffic FNO's, as it usually is a real cluster-O-fun.
WLP
Todd Meek
COMPLETED KSNA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KPDX
COMPLETED KPDX-KAUS
ASA163 KAUS-KSEA
ASA694 KSEA-KGEG
ASA989 KGEG-KSEA
ASA660 KSEA-KDFW
AAL2292 KDFW-KJFK
AAL1487 KJFK-KPHX

Post by Todd Meek »

Victor Cabrales wrote:This is one of the main reasons for why I am not flying online yet. I dont really feel like dealing with all those issues, not yet anyway. One of these days I will hop on and try my hand on it. Thanks for posting the chat Wayne, it helps with figuring out what happens. :?
I always encourage people to fly online. I do about 98% + of my flights online. Sometimes it can be an issue, but most of the time it's not that bad. Like Wayne said if you know there's going to be a fly in at or near where your flying, then I would try to avoid that. Most of the controllers I've interacted with are pretty good and nice. If your worried about being new to the online world, just let the controller know that your new and most of the time they will work with you. Again I wouldn't try that at LAX because there is always tons of traffic and sometimes the controller simply doesn't have time to try and help out someone that is new. Give it a try, I think you will like it plus the hour bonus is nice too. 8)
ImageImage
KLAX Hub Manager
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8

Post by Theodore Martin »

Victor Cabrales wrote:This is one of the main reasons for why I am not flying online yet. I dont really feel like dealing with all those issues, not yet anyway. One of these days I will hop on and try my hand on it. Thanks for posting the chat Wayne, it helps with figuring out what happens. :?
Victor, one good way to get comfortable with online flying and ATC is to join some of the GFI flights we fly on Fridays. There are AAV pilots on those that can help you with any questions or issues you may encounter, as well as provide you examples of what is expected.

Wayne has a dark cloud that follows him around. Like Todd I fly most of my flights online and have had very few problems. In years of flights online I've only had problems in two categories. One was when flying in crowded FNO areas as previously mentioned. Controllers (or sometimes the actual computer servers) get overwhelmed and you either get forgotten or given incorrect information. The second category was with another American VA whose pilots thought they owned a specific call sign and would blast you rigorously for using "their(?)" call sign, even though VATSIM rules clearly state no one owns a call sign and that it is first-come-first-serve.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Theodore Martin
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8

Post by Theodore Martin »

Wayne Pierce wrote:OK gents thanks to Todd for the pictures now.
I started this flight on VATSIM, no ATC was around so Unicom was the order of the day. As I was a commercial flight with an "airliner" I filed a VFR flight plan for 16,500' using Victor airways. My aircraft really was not set up for IFR type flights.

Comms from taxi and takeoff ensued then The VATSIM wanna-be-police-know-it-all piped in;
The AAL 328 started in on me. The DAL guy was defending my actions then AAL 565 was not giving up on the runway assignment.
Needless to say I quit VATSIM and flew off line. I am AAL783.
Don't know what it is Wayne but it seems people wait online to harass you. Must be your moustache :roll: :lol: :lol:
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Todd Meek
COMPLETED KSNA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KPDX
COMPLETED KPDX-KAUS
ASA163 KAUS-KSEA
ASA694 KSEA-KGEG
ASA989 KGEG-KSEA
ASA660 KSEA-KDFW
AAL2292 KDFW-KJFK
AAL1487 KJFK-KPHX

Post by Todd Meek »

Thanks Todd I will give it a shot. Right now I am also working with ZNY to get my S1 cert as controller so I am learning both sides. I am however a pilot at heart. I will concentrate my "Virtual career" in the skies not behind the scope.
I too was working the scopes for a bit down in Albuquerque airspace primarily phoenix tower and started working towards phoenix approach. Wasn't for me. I so much prefer piloting the aircraft myself than being stuck behind a scope watching a bunch of triangles moving around and giving them instructions. Would love to become a real pilot, but just cannot take that kind of debt on at this time. I have zero interest in ever becoming a controller, my heart is in the airplane.
ImageImage
KLAX Hub Manager
Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Post by Michael Blakely »

But thank goodness there ARE people that like to ATC-sim or VATSIM would be a free for all.
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA