Rig too old but....

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Pete Murray
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Home of Buckingham Badger
AAV Total Hours: 4506.9
Previous VA Hours: 4038
Current Bid: AA1384 KORD-KLAX
AA237 KLAX-MMSD
AA533 MMSD-KPHX
AA655 KPHX-KPHL
AA204 KPHL-EHAM
QR274 EHAM-OTHH
QR836 OTHH-VTBS
JL708 VTBS-RJAA
JL58 RJAA-KSFO
AA2614 KSFO-KORD

Rig too old but....

Post by Pete Murray »

Just had to drop some $ a couple months ago on new throttle/stick (Thrustmaster X-56, hee hee :) lovin' it). System is about 4 years old now and I'm getting weary of the 32 bit lockup in FSX.
I am considering making the jump to P3D, I know my system can't handle MSFS 2020. I have plenty of scenery and some nice PMDG, Aerosoft, Wilco, QW add-ons + Active sky.

Any recommendations before I make the switch? Is the ATC still the same as FSX, vectoring you all over the place on approach? If so, I might be looking at ProATCX? for some better ATC interaction.
Is there a FSX to P3d conversion program? Not in a big hurry to convert, just looking for guidance from others.

Stay well

AAV 786
KORD PJM
PJM
Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Re: Rig too old but....

Post by Wayne Pierce »

If your confuser is 4 + years old P3DV5 probably will not work for you, or at least you will not be happy with the results. You did not say what your computer has for specs, but a computer that is as old as yours probably will need an updated graphics card, more memory, as all runs on the 64 bit now. And then with more add-ons, disc space. P3D puts the scenery, graphics and other addons in a different place than it did on FSX. It make directories on your HD outside of the FS program. I just put in a 1TB Solid State HD to put P3D on and use my main HD for the scenery install. And also to say only the new PMDG 747 and NGXu 737 will work on P3DV5. All FSDreamteam, Flightbeam, Fly Tampa stuff does. The program is backward compatible for many of the addons. REX is not yet and may not as they are coming out with a new program.
I guess your talking about the in sim ATC ? I don't bother with that, never have, so cannot comment.
Good Luck
Pete Murray
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Home of Buckingham Badger
AAV Total Hours: 4506.9
Previous VA Hours: 4038
Current Bid: AA1384 KORD-KLAX
AA237 KLAX-MMSD
AA533 MMSD-KPHX
AA655 KPHX-KPHL
AA204 KPHL-EHAM
QR274 EHAM-OTHH
QR836 OTHH-VTBS
JL708 VTBS-RJAA
JL58 RJAA-KSFO
AA2614 KSFO-KORD

Post by Pete Murray »

i7 7700 3.6ghz 16 GB Win 10
NVIDIA GE FORCE GTX 1050 GRAPHICS. From what I have read, the FSX lockups are due to the 32 bit limitations regardless of how much memory is installed. I understand the P3D is 64 bit.

Wayne, what do you use for ATC? I have tossed around the idea of ProATCx or pilot2ATC for quite some time, haven't pulled the trigger. I like traffic, love the AIG packages...there are so many. I seldom zip around in uncontrolled, low density airports and well, our VA has most of our routes going to high density areas.

Does AIG traffic work in P3D? (how to add AI flightplans). I figured I would have to install newer PMDG rigs, read about that too. More $$.
If I stick with FSX for some time (1 year +), I may install one of the 2 ATC add-ons for better realism.

Or I stick and rudder it for a while, upgrade the rig (minus the throttle, rudder and stick) and wait till MS 2020 has the wrinkles ironed out.
Thanks
PJM
Wayne Pierce
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Like I said I do not use any ATC. there is no need when I am the only one in the skies. I just made the swap over to P3Dv5 two weeks ago. At the same time I picked up MSFS 2020, of which I do not much care for. All my payware airports are usable. I bought a new computer for Xmas last year an overclocked machine with two geforce 1080TI video cards and Win 10. I also just put in a 1tb SSD for P3d and MSFS and kept all the scenery on another HD.

I am finally getting it all to work, not quite as well as P3dv4.5, yet. I had to wait until FSUIPC was working for me to use my addon controls.

Yes P3d is 64 bit I feel the more memory one has the better. Not just for the FS program but to use it and other programs one runs at the same time it will use your memory and computing power.
Good luck
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Theodore Martin »

Pete Murray wrote: 09-06-2020 02:59 PM Just had to drop some $ a couple months ago on new throttle/stick (Thrustmaster X-56, hee hee :) lovin' it). System is about 4 years old now and I'm getting weary of the 32 bit lockup in FSX.
I am considering making the jump to P3D, I know my system can't handle MSFS 2020. I have plenty of scenery and some nice PMDG, Aerosoft, Wilco, QW add-ons + Active sky.

Any recommendations before I make the switch? Is the ATC still the same as FSX, vectoring you all over the place on approach? If so, I might be looking at ProATCX? for some better ATC interaction.
Is there a FSX to P3d conversion program? Not in a big hurry to convert, just looking for guidance from others.

Stay well

AAV 786
KORD PJM
Pete,
I use P3Dv4 on a i7-4770K (not overclocked, yet) with 8Gb ram, and Nvidia GTX1060. I run Win 7 with a 1TB SSD and a 1TB HD. I run P3D from the 1TB HD because I only had a 250Gb SSD when I upgraded from FSX to P3D. I get great FPS and good graphics with no issues. From a scenery standpoint I have ORBX, FSDreamteam airports, and Sky Force 3D for clouds and weather.

Like Wayne I don't use simulator ATC. I either fly on my own (general aviation) or I fly online (VA flights) with VatSim ATC when available.

All of this is working well. I have not gone to P3Dv5 for two reasons. First P3Dv5 in my opinion simply adds great clouds and weather to the sim, which I already have with my addon's. Second I'm waiting to decide if I'm moving to MSFS. Oh, by the way, there really isn't a conversion for FSX a/c to P3D. There was a program but my understanding was it work on some a/c but not others. Some of the manufactures will give you a significant discount on P3D payware a/c if you owned the a/c in FSX. PMDG WILL NOT give you any kind of discount :cry: :evil:
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage