My new FS Controls !!

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

My new FS Controls !!

Post by Wayne Pierce »

After many years of updated FS programs my old Controllers, (14 years), were worn out and would not give me control of the aircraft I was using. This years tax return was enough for me to purchase a new set of controllers. I bought the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and the Beta Throttle. It took me a long time to figure out how to program them with my cockpit, but finally figured it out. So that means I am back in the skies again.

For those who do not know my cockpit is a home built one patterned after a WW2 B-17. I use several different interface systems to actuate the FS aircrafts operations using real toggle switches, buttons, autopilot and radio controls.

The built in switches and buttons on the controls I do not use as they are not needed. I can change out the throttle arrangements for GA aircraft and up to 4 throttle jets or Props. Those levers are included with the controller. The pictures set up is for my PMDG B738.

Anyway, here is what they look like installed.
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 133607 times
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 133607 times
Thanks for viewing. Wayne
Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Re: My new FS Controls !!

Post by Michael Blakely »

Drool drool drool.
That's a great setup Wayne!
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Theodore Martin »

This is a great setup, almost as good as your trains. So, one question. You say you can accommodate a four engine setup. Since your pic shows a throttle quadrant for a two-engine a/c, how do you change to a 4-engine setup? Is there an add-on module providing two more throttles or do you swap out the throttle section?

I looked at their website and it does not provide a lot of detail.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Wayne Pierce
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Ted,
The web site doesn't show the levers. In small print is says there are more levers included to change out the CFG. There are 6 slots to push on/pull off the levers. There are up to four jet throttle levers, and a set of GA levers, throttle, pitch, mixture. They pull off/push of very easily. There are rubber covers to go over the unused slots which protect the electronics and help keep the internals cleaner, and it looks neater.

I purchased mine from the Honeycomb web site directly instead of from a 3rd party vendor. The Home office is here in San Diego BTW. I received them in a couple of days, not that they were shipped from here. After I purchased them the web site then said it was out of stock. I guess I bought what they had. Amazon had them a little less expensive. But with my setup and not using the CFGs for the controllers I do not have the panel lights for the operations. Personal SFGs negate any lights showing.

They operate very smoothly.
:-)
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

Looks good, Wayne.

I'm still getting along with my Saitek ProFlight yoke, but if I ever need to replace it, it will probably be with the Honeycomb yoke. The Saitek yoke has a large enough flat space on top that I can put my keyboard there and type. Is there enough flat area on top the Honeycomb yoke to do that?
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Wayne Pierce
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Nope. It is a half round, circle, arc, crooked straight line, etc..
The Yoke and the Throttle fit exactly in the space I took out the old controls. Maybe some bubble gum to hold the keyboard on top.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 133589 times
WLP
Theodore Martin
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Theodore Martin »

Wayne Pierce wrote: 02-16-2023 08:54 AM Ted,
The web site doesn't show the levers. In small print is says there are more levers included to change out the CFG. There are 6 slots to push on/pull off the levers. There are up to four jet throttle levers, and a set of GA levers, throttle, pitch, mixture. They pull off/push of very easily. There are rubber covers to go over the unused slots which protect the electronics and help keep the internals cleaner, and it looks neater.

I purchased mine from the Honeycomb web site directly instead of from a 3rd party vendor. The Home office is here in San Diego BTW. I received them in a couple of days, not that they were shipped from here. After I purchased them the web site then said it was out of stock. I guess I bought what they had. Amazon had them a little less expensive. But with my setup and not using the CFGs for the controllers I do not have the panel lights for the operations. Personal SFGs negate any lights showing.

They operate very smoothly.
:-)
Thanks Wayne. That explains why I couldn't see the extra slots needed for 4-engine operations. My joystick just recently started having problems with the throttle control. I took it apart and cleaned the variable resistor as best I could and it's now working, but I can't calibrate it to get the simulator a/c engines to be at total idle when I move the throttle on the joystick to idle. This happened once before and I had to play around with the sensitivity. I've turned the sensitivity up to 75% now and it appears to be doing better.

Just like Harold I'm still using my Saitek petals but I'm starting to look at replacements for my joystick (Thrustmaster T.1600M). Right now I'm torn between a yoke or another joystick. My problem is that I move my joystick out the way when I'm not flying so I can do other things on my computer (no dedicated flight station). Since the yoke has to be clamped to the table top it will be a pain to keep moving it back and forth. However, I'm thinking of getting into auto sim racing and the yoke would work for that. I'll have to do some more research to come up with the best option.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Arturo Carvajal
Screenshot Contest Winner x8
Screenshot Contest Winner x8
Position: Pilot
Hub: KMIA
Residence: Ecuador
AAV Total Hours: 10587.3
Previous VA Hours: 315
Current Bid: COMPLETED KMIA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KJAC
COMPLETED KJAC-KDFW
AAL714 KDFW-KATL
AAL1626 KATL-KMIA

Post by Arturo Carvajal »

Looks good Wayne
ImageImage
Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2542.4
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

Awesome Sauce! I'm jealous!
Harold Henderson
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

Harold Henderson wrote: 02-16-2023 12:02 PM Looks good, Wayne.

I'm still getting along with my Saitek ProFlight yoke, but if I ever need to replace it, it will probably be with the Honeycomb yoke. The Saitek yoke has a large enough flat space on top that I can put my keyboard there and type. Is there enough flat area on top the Honeycomb yoke to do that?
Found a solution for placing the keyboard on top of the Alpha yoke.

Video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB70DGJA26Q

Product here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B9W343
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Wayne Pierce
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Thanks for posting Scott and welcome to our VA.
It took quite awhile to get the assignments for MSFS with the Honey Comb, but have it dialed in. One has to make different cfg's in the progam for what you fly; 2engine prop; 4 engine prop; 2 engine jet; 4 engine jet; PMDG jet; etc. Just change the levers and away you go. I do not use the Honey Comb hardware Auto pilot for a couple of reasons; Its really hard to see the front of the controller from my pilots chair, It is dark and not lit and it doesn't translate to all aircraft even with the cfg set up.
Thanks
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

So last spring I purchased new controllers too. I went with the Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke and the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle quadrant. Love it. I just need some rudder pedals. When I enough saved up I plan on purchasing the MFG Crosswind V3 Pedals. Compared to big named pedals they are less expensive, and get excellent reviews. I'll probably upgrade them to use the hydraulic damper as well. Plus I like his story on how he got started. Check them out... https://mfg-sim.com/en/

All that being said, Wayne one suggestion to get a little more immersion out of your throttle quadrant. I stumbled across a vendor on Etsy who sells levers for the throttle quadrant. I got the 737 and love them. He just released the Pro version (version 2.0) and I want to upgrade to them. May just get the whole 7x7 line up, and maybe the airbus....and maybe the MD80. Costs adds up so maybe not, but some day. Here is a link:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FlightSimFactory?ref=usf_2020
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Post by Rey Ramon »

...and I just purchased the simworks studios PC12. Messaged flightsimfactory if he was planning on getting PC12 version out and he said it's in the works. If not I'm sure the GA setup would work.