New PC Upgrade

Here's the place to post technical questions about computer systems, optimal performance, hardware upgrades, and how to set the clock on your VCR.

Moderators: Michael Blakely, Todd Meek

Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2542.4
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

New PC Upgrade

Post by Rey Ramon »

For Christmas I requested a new case. I just wanted to go in a new directions or wanted a change. Don't get my wrong, the Phantek case I had was a great and stylish case. It was definitely difficult to work inside of, but most mITX builds are. At any rate, the new case did not work out. So I ordered a nice new Zalman P30. I really liked this case, and it worked with my m-ITX mobo. I did have to buy an extender adapter for the ATX power connector since my PSU was an SFF PSU and the cables are a little shorter. Any how I got it up and running...and it was pretty.
But then my daughter's PC went down. It was really old. maybe not old to her, but she was 9 when I built it for her, and she's now going on 16. Plus, the components I purchased to put into them were already like 2 generations old since she you know.... only 9 at the time. Since then, she's become quite the gamer chick. So I was building her PC out when it hit me. Why not upgrade my PC (which is recently upgraded last spring to the ryzen 5800x3d) and give her my mobo, ram, and cpu. I stumbled across a deal too good to pass up. Microcenter, the greatest PC store ever, was having a combo sale. The Ryzen 7 7800x3d, Gigabyte gaming mobo, and 32GB DDR5 6000MHz combo for $499. I could not pass that up. Though microcenter has a nice online website, they do not do any online sale. you just reserve what you'd like to buy, and pay in store. OF course every store was sold out of the combo. The closest store to me is like 25 minutes away. There was one store who had the combo deal....the way in Queens NYC. Did I make the 4hour round trip drive to get it? Damn straight. Round trip by distance should be 3 hours, but NYC has to NYC in terms of traffic. Of course my Zalman P30 was only for mITX and mATX, The new mobo is a full ATX sized mobo. So I had to get another case. This time I went with the NZXT H6 Flow. It's been a long time since I've had a case this big, but it is a really nice case. Id forgotten how nice it is to work in a big case. My two last builds were both SFF mITX builds. Any how, I'm back up and running, and the 7800x3d...she flies fast. Loads MSFS so fast. Impressed. It's a win win for me and my daughter. She got a huge upgrade...as did I.

I should say, my wife was very cool during all this. It helps that I could return both cases to Amazon easily.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm pretty pleased with the out come. Now if MFG can get their hydraulic damper in stock so I can order rudder pedals. I've been with AAV for over 20 years and I've never owned rudder pedals. I know....shameful. But I've been saving up for these for a while and can't wait to order them.