GFI

This is the place to post your screenshots!

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Re: GFI

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Making a GFI is a no brainer, sort of. One makes a flight plan within the criteria, sets a date and time for the GFI and post it on the forum for all to see as an announcement. If one makes the flight announcement then that person better show up and lead the pack. Give enough lead time for those slow on reading the web page.

Teamspeak is pretty much dead. The Discord channel has verbal comms on the bottom of the AAV page, which can be used for comms on a GFI. It doesn't matter about weather or what one uses as a simulator as long as the VATSIM network can access the simulator.

One can fly without weather on ones sim and no one else can see or care about if you have it on or not.

WLP
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Hub: KPHX
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

Also, there was not a requirement to use real-wx as way back then real-wx was an addon package for the sims we were using. Now, real-wx is in MSFS2020, and I think it is in X-Plane??? I would still be in favor of NOT requiring use of real-wx as on-line VATSIM flying may be enough of a challenge for some.

I would like to get back into GFI's although now that I'm in the Eastern time zone for the US, my 9pm bed time comes an hour earlier!

We'll probably need to have some flight-sim specific "experts" to help us dummies get connected with or sim, VATSIM, Discord. I know Tim Farrell and Jose do a lot of on-line flying together. I'm not sure what flight sim they are using, but they might be 2 to use. Who else?
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Theodore Martin »

I was one of the "OLD TIMERS" that regularly attended the GFI's. They were sooooooo much fun and we enjoyed joking around with each other.

I currently use PD3 and most of all my flights are online. I use vPilot to get online with VatSim. Unfortunately I am a novice with Discord. I have it installed and been online with it several times but I would be little help getting someone else up to speed with it.

I will definitely be there if we get the GFI's going again.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage