FS9/FSX on MacBook Pro

Here's the place to post technical questions about computer systems, optimal performance, hardware upgrades, and how to set the clock on your VCR.

Moderators: Michael Blakely, Todd Meek

Greg Gemelli
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Boise, ID
AAV Total Hours: 1299.4
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

FS9/FSX on MacBook Pro

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Hey Guys,

Maybe someone here has some experience in this area. I am looking at getting a replacement for my 3yr old MacBook and I would like a simplified solution that would allow me to have some fun with FS again. My situation does not allow me to have 2 computers so getting a home gaming system is not an option for me. Due to work I am on the road a lot and I'm a bit of a minimalist.

My current MacBook was the first gen to have the intel processor and it runs Windows flawlessly but it lacks the poop to run demanding programs like FS due to graphic card limitations.

I am considering getting a MacBook Pro that has more than enough power to run FS9 and probably FSX with no issues from a hardware standpoint. Or maybe I will wait until they begin offering the Quad Core Chips which they should soon. When you boot to windows you run it native so its not having to run 2 OS. Its just like any other windows machine. However this does not mean that there are not issues..lol. I have began searching forums for related information and it seems to work well for most users but I thought maybe someone here had personal experience with this.

I would like to get back into flying once in a while. Anyway any advice/experiences are appreciated.
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Re: FS9/FSX on MacBook Pro

Post by Michael Blakely »

Maybe you can be our X-plane pioneer?
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Greg Gemelli

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Thanks for the info so far guys. I have been reading in some forums and most of the reports seem to be positive and the negative issues mostly fall in the "drivers" category. The good thing is that most of the driver issues seem solvable.

When I get set up I would be happy to help in the development of opening up AAV to X-Plane. The main thing I am trying to find out is how soon Apple is going to offer the Quad-Core processors in the MacBook Pro; and it's not easy lol. If history proves correct we should see the Quad-Cord processors offered in the next few months.

Cheers
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Greg Gemelli

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Well, I finally got a new mac that should be more than sufficient for running FS9. I have a question for all you guru's out there. I have the option of going with XP or windows 7. Keep in mind that I have no plans of upgrading to FSX anytime soon and FS9 always worked great for me on XP. Since I have been out of the loop for quite some time can anyone who has run FS9 on both XP and Win 7 give me a report on how it's working for them.

Thanks a bunch in advance :)
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Greg Gemelli

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Jeff,

Thanks for the report. After further research on my end I have found that Win 7 was not as much an option as I originally thought it was. In a nutshell if I want to boot to Windows "native" I have to use a full copy of Windows. I already owned a copy of XP so I went this route. I was hoping that I could spend 60-90 bucks and get the upgrade with my educators discount but I found out the only way I would be able to use an "Upgrade" versions would be to also run parallels which cuts into CPU power.

So an update on where I am on getting this set up rolling:

XP is running great and I have FS9 installed and all initial tests are showing excellent performance. I did a test flight last night in the FT Legacy with the virtual cabin/cockpit to see the FR hit and the performance was remarkable. I have lots of other payware on backup cd but I am having issues with the installers and need to contact the vendors to get lots of keys again..lol.

Im going to get all the online software installed today and hope to make a test flight online later tonight.

But from the initial indicators it looks like this will work very well.

Greg
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Greg Gemelli

Post by Greg Gemelli »

Mike,

Once I get FS running nicely in windows I will get X-Pplane reinstalled and will be happy to run any tests we need.

Cheers,

Greg
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA