computer dead. need help

Here's the place to post technical questions about computer systems, optimal performance, hardware upgrades, and how to set the clock on your VCR.

Moderators: Michael Blakely, Todd Meek

Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2542.4
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KBOS-KDCA
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

computer dead. need help

Post by Rey Ramon »

so today i turn my computer on and i hear two loud pops and the smell of burnt, dying computer innards. I had something like similar happen before, and it was the graphics card shorting out. so I take my graphics cards out...an nvidia 8800 gtx. i plug the power back in and see the green led turn on on my asus mobo. so it's getting power. so i press the power button...nada. the only thing that happens is my cpu fan and one of the chasis fan spins for half a second...that's all. if i press the power button again nothing happens. all thru this the green led on the mobo stays lit. so i assume my psu is fine since it's delivering power to the mobo right? or is it the cpu? now sure what else it could be. suggestions please.
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Re: computer dead. need help

Post by Rey Ramon »

Well I know someone who has a Phenom laying around so I will try that first. Either that or i'll take my CPU to get tested at a local computer repair shop. We are tight with our budget right now so the cheapest route the better. I hadn't looked at computer parts in a while. I had no idea there 6 core CPUs already. Pretty cool.
Rey Ramon
COMPLETED KDCA-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MZBZ
COMPLETED MZBZ-KDFW
AAL1036 KDFW-KMCI
AAL1029 KMCI-KDCA
AAL1630 KDCA-KORD

Re: computer dead. need help

Post by Rey Ramon »

It was my PSU. I hooked up an old Mobo/cpu/ram i had sitting around and it did exactly the same thing as my current rig. So got a new PSU, hooked it up and away it went flying. YEAh!