Framerates.......

Here's the place to post technical questions about computer systems, optimal performance, hardware upgrades, and how to set the clock on your VCR.

Moderators: Michael Blakely, Todd Meek

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Re: Framerates.......

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Frame rates are my nemesis :evil: :evil:

When I was using FS9 I found, like you, the rates were fantastic in the reduced windowed mode. That has to do with the video for FS9 and the windows program. I would fly FS9 on VATSIM with FSINN and get great rates. Sqwakbox was even better. Now in FSX my frame rates are really poor what with all my scenery add-ons and payware aircraft. And to make is worse FSINN on VATSIM made them go down to 1fps !
I put SB4 on and fly VATSIM now with very decent frame rates. I operate off line with good rates, most of the time.

The way to reduce problems and increase frame rates are many, but you have to make some sacrafices.
If FSINN is used, on line reduce the distance you can see aircraft. 10 miles is the default FS view.
One has to reduce the scenery graphics, don't use the maximum settings. Turning off the visual candy will increase the frame rates, but we lose what we want to see while "flying". Flying with the FS programs with only default aircraft and default scenery is the best for frame rates.

Another help is not so cheap, get a better computer with more memory, faster processer and much better video capabilties, etc., etc.. My FS computer only does FS, nothing else. It,the computer, is tweaked to allow only the programs needed to operate and no frills. All my other computers do the other things in the computer world. I use 4 computers to fly with so the memory is not taxed for main flight computer. I use WideFS for conecting them together via my home network.

I liked to fly with FS9 as it was a real joy to fly with no stutters and great frame rates. But I only do FSX now for the graphics and programs available.

Reading the forums for FS program they, suggest, if you set the framerates to just above what your getting, it will smooth out the FS program as it will not try to fly the increased setting for the framerates. For example, I set mine at 35fps and it will fly from 15-30 normally and not try to operate into the unlimited, where it won't go anyway.

Your computer will try to operate all your windows functions when it is flying so the memory and processor function is being used for other programs and not only for FS. Start your task manager and look at what programs are being operated and you will be suprised at how many are in operation at the same time.

Change a few settings and see how things look, Good luck.

WLP