A few questions: SIDs, STARSs, FLs, ATR

Have a technical question about flying? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Sondheimer, Wayne Pierce

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Re: A few questions: SIDs, STARSs, FLs, ATR

Post by Wayne Pierce »

First off, Francesco, I have answered your email, now. It was caught in the SPAM folder for AAV.
[1- When I leave and airport (especially in a checkride) and that airport has no SIDs the only thing I should make sure of, before I start to turn for my first leg, is that the airport area is clear? If yes, do I do that "by eyes" or are there any specific procedures?/quote]

Correct. If you are flying off line (not on VATSIM under ATC) then you should follow a prudent course of action; fly the correct takeoff weather pattern at the airport, follow the runway heading out before making any turns, then proceed to your course by a direct route.
2- So, in my flight, should I change between even/odd levels after every turn? Or the only thing I should take into account is if the flight is westboud or eastbound? (So if the arrival airport is to the left or to the right of my departure airport I choose even or odd levels). ES: Is it ok to fly FL150 for KDFW to KJLN?
Once you have established your flight route, East or West, your flight level, or altitude will be the same. Your flight plan altitude is taken into account for routing to your destination. Your small flights now are not an issue. If though you started at an airport in the west and flew far to the East for some time and changed directions back West then your altitude needs to reflect that change.
4- When flying online I'm assigned a SID and a STAR by the atc, right? My question is, when flying offline, or online with no ATC, can I choose on my own what SID or STAR to follow? (of course depending on my route)
You choose the route and submit it. ATC does not choose it for you. They will, and do change routes if it is not appropriate or is not available for you to use. You are responsible for the Departure and Arrival, "Choose Wisely".
5- If an Airport doesn't have any STARs can I go directly from the last wpt of my route to the IAF (in case of and ILS APPC.)? If an airport doesn't have any SIDs can I go directly to the first wpt of my route?
Yes, that is the way it is done. If your online with ATC, they will vector you, or give you instructions on what to do. We fly many GFI's with no STAR and SID components and use the jetways and charts for the approach to fly to and from.

Always ask question here, some of us like to answer them. We have many real world pilots. They can tell you a corrected way of answers to your questions, as I only can answer them from experience of VATSIM ATC and talking to others I "fly" with here.

Good luck
Wayne Pierce
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

I did not answer the ATR ? as I do not know the landing speed. I have it and just fly it.
Fly the appropriate procedure for takeoff using the weather. Takeoff into the wind on a runway for your aircraft.

Using charts is part of the game. You will have to use them for the next checkrides.

Make a flight plan like your doing and your fine.

FRH (fly runway heading out). fly the runway heading to at least the Middle Marker before making any turns. Do not turn halfway down the runway as soon as you lift off, unless ATC tells you to. It is in the FAA book. This is a big mistake on the checkrides I mark off on.

A few places to get US charts.
http://www.airnav.com/
http://aeronav.faa.gov/digital_tpp.asp? ... 09-19-2013

Have fun.
Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Post by Michael Blakely »

Francesco,

I remember when I first started at AAV and on VATSIM. I had all the same questions you do, and even more.

Please continue to ask questions in the forums, and have fun.
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3178
Current Bid: COMPLETED KDFW-MKJS
AAL1248 MKJS-KMIA
AAL1276 KMIA-KDFW

Post by Theodore Martin »

Francesco,
Just like you, I joined AAV because of the checkride advancement system. I enjoy learning how to fly and learning the correct way.

To add to Wayne's answer about the ATR, it is not different from most aircraft. Your takeoff and your landing speeds are based on the weight of the plane. There are a number of other factors that affect his but weight is the primary factor (especially for Flight Sim) that determines your landing speed. For any given aircraft there is a basic takeoff and landing speed and weight will vary those speeds around that basic speed.

Takeoff and landing speeds are usually defined in charts specific for that aircraft. If the plane has an FMC (Flight Management Computer) it will give you the appropriate speeds based on the payload and fuel weights you enter.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage