Continuous Turning Approach AKA Circular Pattern

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Re: Continuous Turning Approach AKA Circular Pattern

Post by Wayne Pierce »

To Quote someone " I am not a real pilot, I play one on VATSIM" I use both methods to approach the runway of choice.

I see the RW pilots use the circular pattern at the local airport, KSEE, near my home, and I see them using the rectangular approach also. Near the approach to the airport are several hills which dictate the approach procedure to use. To fly on the LOC one needs to be about 5+ miles out, the circular pattern for visual is much closer inside of the hills.

In fact I was at the end of the runway last week and a 172 was on straight in final, a little ways out and another aircraft using the circular pattern jumped in front of the other pilot to land first. The 1st pilot went around.

There has been times when I virtually fly using the circular pattern I under shoot the final course a little and have to correct my path.

I get from the article that Rod is not in favor of the circular pattern. Maybe he isn't a good enough pilot to fly it. Har, Har.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Norberto Rivera
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CLT Commander Extraordinaire
Hub: RETIRED
Residence: Sterling, VA
AAV Total Hours: 2667.4
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPSP-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KSHV
COMPLETED KSHV-KDFW
AAL2731 KDFW-KPSP

Post by Norberto Rivera »

I've used both in the sim, but in my humble and untrained opinion, I can understand how a circular approach would be more dangerous simply due to the limited visibility caused by flying at a bank angle. I think one of the biggest dangers of flying a pattern is the increased potential for a mid-air collision. Limiting your field of view at a critical phase of flight in a location where traffic converges just doesn't make sense to me.
Norberto "Bert" Rivera
AAV476
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
"I'm not a real pilot, but I play one on VATSIM"
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
"Sarcasm is just one more service I offer"

Current bid theme: Random Airbus Bid
Check out my aircraft pics on Flightaware.
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Hub: KPHX
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3563.3

Post by Harold Henderson »

As far as I can recall, my dad always flew circular patterns. He learned to fly in the 60's at a small airport from a pilot who cut his teeth on biplanes. When I got my ppl in the early 70's I was only taught the rectangular approach and that is what I always flew.
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8

Post by Theodore Martin »

I agree with Bert, as mentioned by Rod, that continuous turning approaches for high wing a/c blocks the pilots vision of the airport and any traffic in the area which is a safety concern. Flying a rectangular at least affords an opportunity to fully scan the area for oncoming traffic. However, as i've done numerous times on the simulator, your approach turns into a circular pattern depending on your distance from the airport on the downwind leg so I've done both landing patterns.

If the continuous turn approach reduces the skills required by the pilot to control and land the a/c as Rod mentions then so be it. Reducing the skills needed to land the a/c is a good think in my opinion. However, I don't see how the continuous turn approach reduces the work load for the pilot.

My two cents.....and I yield to RW pilots in our VA.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage