Real American Airlines training

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Panagiotis Zervoulias
Position: Pilot
Hub: KJFK
Residence: Greece
AAV Total Hours: 7467.2
Previous VA Hours: 15.8
Current Bid: CHARTER KJFK-EDDF<BR> CHARTER EDDF-KSEA<BR> CHARTER KSEA-WSSS<BR> CHARTER WSSS-EDDM<BR> CHARTER EDDM-ZBAA<BR> JAL20 ZBAA-RJTT<BR> AAL26 RJTT-KLAX<BR> CHARTER KLAX-KATL<BR> CHARTER KATL-EDDF<BR> CHARTER EDDF-KJFK<BR>

Real American Airlines training

Post by Panagiotis Zervoulias »

Hey guys just wondering if American airlines has a flight academy or such for training ab-initio pilots. Lufthansa has such a program here in Europe and I've applied for it and I'll go in Germany for assessment tests in about three months. Does anybody know if American airlines has something like that? I've searched in their site but I didn't find an email to contact them for information.
Greg Gemelli
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Boise, ID
AAV Total Hours: 1299.4
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Re: Real American Airlines training

Post by Greg Gemelli »

There are currently no airlines in the US with an ab-initio program. I am expecting that to change though over the next 10yrs as the supply of qualified pilots is decreased. Currently most who want to work for an airline like AAL begin with getting their ratings from a flight school that may or may not be affiliated with a college or university and they pay for it. After getting their basic ratings (Private, Instrument, Commercial) they will get their flight instructors certificates (CFI, CFII, MEI) and teach to build time. Currently to get an interview with a regional airline like American Eagle or the airline I work for SkyWest you would need at least 1000hrs of experience (200hrs of that multi-engine). However most getting interviews right now at SkyWest have 2000-3000. Very soon the min experience requirements are going to be increased to 1500hrs but for now the airlines still have the option to hire someone with a min of 250hrs (although this was VERY rare) and right now I can't see anyone getting hired at a regional with anything less than 1000hrs.

Anyway after getting a job flying at a regional airline you can expect to spend a min of 5yrs there building time and experience. Currently AAL is NOT hiring any pilots but when they begin; which is likely in the next 2yrs I would expect that the minimum experience to get an interview would be: +5000hrs Total time and +1000 PIC Turbojet (PIC is time as pilot in command, only a captain logs PIC time).

It's a long road in the US. I started flight training in 2004, got hired at SkyWest in 2007, I am currently transitioning to the CRJ700/900 as an FO and still am at minimum 1 1/2 years from getting an upgrade to captain. So if all goes well from this point forward I should be qualified to get an interview at AAL by 2014 :).

Good luck with your assessment at Lufthansa. If you can get into their program with sponsored training DO IT!! I'll be paying off my loans for flight training for the next 20 yrs :) I had 2 friends who used to teach at their training facility in Arizona. They have a great program from what I have heard.

Cheers
Greg Gemelli
London-Heathrow Manager
SKW ERJ175 CA
Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2573.1
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Re: Real American Airlines training

Post by Rey Ramon »

Greg,
I'm so happy to hear that you are progressing up to the jets. Very exciting stuff. Congrats!