Going to buy my first plane soon....

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Re: Going to buy my first plane soon....

Post by Michael Blakely »

I fly the PMDG 737 and Flight 1 Super 80 and both are great.

One thing to think about is which experience you want. A realistic 737 isn't too far removed from a standard FS9 or FSX aircraft. The major differences will be the FMC and the autoflight modes available to you. The MD-80 has many more differences if it's modeled well. The overhead panel is a puzzle and there will be things you may never have heard of before like engine sync, pneumatic cross feeds, and long trim . The MD-80 FMC also gives you less help setting reference/flap speeds, so you need to use the tables.
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Pete Murray
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Home of Buckingham Badger
AAV Total Hours: 4506.9
Previous VA Hours: 4038
Current Bid: AA1384 KORD-KLAX
AA237 KLAX-MMSD
AA533 MMSD-KPHX
AA655 KPHX-KPHL
AA204 KPHL-EHAM
QR274 EHAM-OTHH
QR836 OTHH-VTBS
JL708 VTBS-RJAA
JL58 RJAA-KSFO
AA2614 KSFO-KORD

Post by Pete Murray »

Yes, I also finally rolled over and bought some a/c for the hangar. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! These payware jets are not for the beginner though!!! I cannot stress this enough! I did get the Maddog 80 (with AA texture), and there was a re-learning curve and it took a while. You gotta like to read manuals, use the FMC/autopilot etc. LOTS of new acronyms with all kinds of new panels, working wx radar, a/c load configuration and failure module. BE Patient, Maddog has a default tutorial that is priceless! Helps you configure your a/c, perform the pre-flight checks, APU start/shutdown. Maddog also has lots of additional liveries, in case you want to hop around on some codeshare flights.
SIGH, you always want more!!

Pete
AAV786
PJM
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Hub: KPHX
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

Christopher - my $.02. As much as I love the Flight 1/Coolsky MD-80, I would suggest buying the PMDG 737 NGX for FSX. Yes, I know it's pricey, but it is a plane you can grow and learn with. Look at it as an investment. You'll be learning and growing with this plane for a long time.

If you have never really gotten into FMC programming, you are going to have a learning curve anyway. There are basically 2 levels of FMC - rather simple setups like the ERJ/CRJ and the ones that have a lot of depth like the 737/767/MD80, etc. Even though I would recommend you starting with one that is a little deeper, you can still do a rather simple setup and still fly the airplane -- and the depth/complexity is there as well.

The other plus of the 737 NGX is the volume of help in the form of video tutorials and forum posts. Real world 738 pilots are telling you how to fly the a/c just like they do ... IF you want to immediately jump to that level of detail (room to grow). BUT if you want to jump into the plane w the engines already running, load the fuel/pax, import a flight plan, and do the other minimal setup to fly w the FMC - you can do it in 5-10 mins.

FMCs may look hard and daunting (still remember my first flight w the Level D 767 trying to follow the tutorial AND fly the plane, too :lol: ), but just take one of the tutorial flights and walk through it. AND there's a lot of help on here as you know. There are many of us who are more than willing to get online with you using teamspeak and help walk you through and answer questions. All you (or anyone else) needs to do is ASK!

Also, this a/c is visually great and just "feels" right when flying it. With your new high-end computer, you should get more than acceptable performance.
Last edited by Harold Henderson on 09-21-2011 06:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Michael Natale
Position: KORD Hub Manager
Hub: RETIRED
Residence: Florida
AAV Total Hours: 3933.5
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Michael Natale »

My own humble opinion is that the iFly is great. I don't fly the PMDG new release but I bet it is the best if you have FSX. For MD 80's however I must say the Leonardo is untouchable!!! You have to sit in the seat and fly it. Don't leave it too long or something will go south and quickly. Frozen fuel cloging the fuel filters etc.. don't de-ice the A/C in severe icing conditions and you will lose an engine to FOD. Better follow the checklist too. The best system simulation that I have seen with an extensive manual. If you take the time to learn the a/c you wil love it I'm sure. It really does sound like the PMDG is nice too though although does it auto generate failures if you do not follow procedures like the Leonardo? The PMDG 6-700 does not; maybe the new release does. Enjoy; either way you are in for a treat....

Mike