MD-80 Proficiency, finally

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

MD-80 Proficiency, finally

Post by Michael Blakely »

I've done a 4 flight FREQ with all the same equipment, the MD-80, and I finally feel a bit proficient in it. I can even find the switches on the overhead without searching for 45 seconds for each one.
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Michael Blakely
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Re: MD-80 Proficiency, finally

I use the checklist from the Super 80 Pro manual. It's about 30 pages. I highlight the steps I need to take, so I can skip the ones that aren't necessary (e.g. items related to checking switch states that are known good when starting cold and dark, or items that are not simualted).
Mike

Michael Natale
Position: KORD Hub Manager
Hub: RETIRED
Residence: Florida
AAV Total Hours: 3933.5
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Michael Natale »

Mike, if you like the super 80 you'll LOVE the MADDOG!!!!. If you are proficient in your "flow" with the Flight 1 product, the MADDOG is an easy transition with a lot more to offer. I personally thought the super 80 was awsome until I tried the MADDOG. Shameless plug for the MD80 series here; such a cool old bird.

Mike
Michael Blakely
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Michael Natale wrote:Mike, if you like the super 80 you'll LOVE the MADDOG!!!!. If you are proficient in your "flow" with the Flight 1 product, the MADDOG is an easy transition with a lot more to offer. I personally thought the super 80 was awsome until I tried the MADDOG. Shameless plug for the MD80 series here; such a cool old bird.
What does the MADDOG add?
Mike

Michael Natale

Post by Michael Natale »

The MADDOG has more realsitic failure logic. If you don't request de-icing in severe icing conditions you will be lose an engine from ice ingestion after take-off. It also simulates auto generated failure (if you want) for preset values e.g every 1000/500/250 hrs. You select the parameters. I was flying the other day and had an engine fire, just beacuse of the failure setting I choose months ago. I was destined to have some type of failure within that hour range I selected (CSD/GEN failures APU fires, hung starts and hot starts you make the failure you want or let the manager give you one at random.It comes with a great normal and ab-normal procedures guide to get you through everything.It comes with an excellent load manager as well. Liveries include the AA MD-82 as well as an Alaska Air model. You have the choice of a modern EFIS config or an old style analog display which you can choose before each flight. DATA for reduced weight/assumed temperature adjustments for take-off. This is just a through design. The older stlye (PMS) that you would be used to in the Super 80 is essentially the same, however it comes with an FMS which handles your lateral course only. No mess loading the flight plans like the Super 80 can be (in my opinion it was combersome to laod a flight plan sometimes) I could go on Mike,.. if you like I can send you a copy of the FLight Manual. It would be a quick read becasue you are used to the Sper 80. Once you get used to the flow, it is a very realsitic simulator. They say that the MADDOG is it's own sim that uses FS9/FSX as opposed to FS9 using the aircraft add-on. Keep the blue side up Boss....

Mike
Michael Blakely
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Michael Natale wrote:if you like I can send you a copy of the FLight Manual. It would be a quick read becasue you are used to the Sper 80.
Wow, now I see. I'll take a rain check on the manual for now. My next target is the Concorde-X. That should take a while to master.
Mike

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2929.8

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Michael Natale wrote:The MADDOG has more realsitic failure logic.
Yeah, well I am a big failure at it.
I have had the Maddog 80 since it came out and I CANNOT GET IT STARTED WITHOUT THE ENGINES CATCHING FIRE. I have tried all the checklists. I have never "flown" the airplane. I will not start for me. I have read and copied starting list after list from the forum. I just cannot do it. So my Super 80 comes to the rescue each and every time, of which I am pretty good at this one. :)

WLP
Michael Natale

Post by Michael Natale »

I had a similar problem with one of the models; just one in particular. All theothers I never had an issue. When I tried to start the engines, each time I had a hot start. I went to the manager application and re-set all failures. I then went to the MADDOG pull down menu within FS9 and reset all failures. Fixed it with no problem.

I'm with you on the Concord Mike, beautiful add on with what seems to be some very complex systems simulation. Enjoy...
Pete Murray
Position: Pilot
Hub: KORD
Residence: Home of Buckingham Badger
AAV Total Hours: 4506.9
Previous VA Hours: 4038
Current Bid: AA1384 KORD-KLAX
AA237 KLAX-MMSD
AA533 MMSD-KPHX
AA655 KPHX-KPHL
AA204 KPHL-EHAM
QR274 EHAM-OTHH
QR836 OTHH-VTBS
JL708 VTBS-RJAA
JL58 RJAA-KSFO
AA2614 KSFO-KORD

Post by Pete Murray »

Alright kids, class is in session! LOL..I too have acquired the MADDOG 80, like I said before it will deserve some attention. It seems we have a groundswell of engine starting problems for the old lady. Hot starts, ugh, they happen...Pete Gill is on to something, if your EGT gauges are above 90 or so, you will probably get a hot start. Engine need cool air first, then it make hot air out back side, ha ha. Well, you could sit on the ramp, beacon flashing, tied up traffic and wait for the EGT to cool down (meanwhile you have a situation heating up in the cabin with your customers). Quick trick I have done on hot start...fire up the other engine and start the generator on the good engine, otherwise your battery life may not make it. Move the fuel shutoff lever (pedestal) for the hot engine to closed/down. Engage and hold the starter motor again for the hot engine, you will see the EGT roll down quickly towards 150 then slowly towards 100, it takes a 2-3 minutes or so. Release the starter, let the RPMs calm down and re-start like normal. With the MADDOG, you have to wind up the starter pretty far and then be quick to engage the starter lever on the pedestal. If you're slow, the RPMs roll off quickly and now the turbine blades aren't spinning fast enough to ignite and maintain good compression. One other little MADDOG secret, (sigh), I guess if you don't enable the switch guard on the starter motor after ignition, you might be in for a surprise on takeoff or climbout. That one caught me for a loop at KORD???

Pete Murray
AAV 786 Sr. Captain KORD
PJM