Recurrent training

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Kyle David
Position: Pilot
Hub: KMIA
Residence: New York
AAV Total Hours: 9252.7
Previous VA Hours: 116
Current Bid: AAL2247 KMIA-KBOS
AAL2247 KBOS-KMIA
AAL318 KMIA-TKPK
AAL318 TKPK-KMIA

Recurrent training

Post by Kyle David »

Hello greetings to my fellow crew members I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday evening. I'm here because I recently thought about a new idea for our va. What if we decided to have recurrent training for each pilot such as requiring a checkride with the aircraft in our ranks every 6 months with holding procedures, engine outs etc. Also require everyone to do it before submitting te next FREQ. It does sound like alot of work and planning but I think it will benefit all of the pilots here and we would appear even more standardized compared to other vas.
Any suggestions? Comments?
Kyle
Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Re: Recurrent training

Post by Michael Blakely »

Excellent suggestion and a lot of fun. All we need to do if re-fill our checkpilot ranks so we can process the check rides. See this post: http://www.aavirtual.com/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=18004
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Pete Murray
Hub: KORD
Residence: Home of Buckingham Badger
AAV Total Hours: 4506.9
Previous VA Hours: 4038
Current Bid: AA1384 KORD-KLAX
AA237 KLAX-MMSD
AA533 MMSD-KPHX
AA655 KPHX-KPHL
AA204 KPHL-EHAM
QR274 EHAM-OTHH
QR836 OTHH-VTBS
JL708 VTBS-RJAA
JL58 RJAA-KSFO
AA2614 KSFO-KORD

Post by Pete Murray »

Good evening,
I'm on board with Wayne, making it .04. Seems as though new(er) pilots have difficulty with the upgrade checkrides. Anyone consult the RW FAA/airline regulations? I too, have a RW job and house to take care of alone.
On the other hand, it's a novel idea, especially for an individual coming back from suspension or long term LOA. We could debate/vote on what long term is. I do not like the idea of holding FREPs back because of a checkride, I don't think that's how traditional companies operate. Would the training department/management be willing to absorb all the extra folks filling in squares?
I did read Wayne's email about checkrides evaluators, I might be interested. How does it work? Is it online? I think voluntary checkrides would be an extra tool for those newer folks who are struggling with navigation, landings, procedures or even those who are roughing the promotional checkrides into the heavies. Kinda like, hey, you wanna check my work before I turn in this term paper...:)
I say, check the RW regs, Jeff Jett is a RW pilot. He might have some input on this, then let's think about it.

AAV 786
Pete Murray
PJM
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3180.7
Current Bid: COMPLETED KDFW-MKJS
COMPLETED MKJS-KMIA
AAL1276 KMIA-KDFW

Post by Theodore Martin »

I think it is a good idea but I would not hold a person's FREQ awaiting a re-certification. I know when I was coming up through the ranks sometimes it would be a month or so before I could spend any time working a checkride. I think a yearly (instead of every six months) re-certification would be a great idea.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2929.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Kyle, we in the training department have talked at lengths about this type of subject. Not "recertification" per se, but addon certificates.
I cannot see taking a recert checkride in the times you suggested. That would logistically be tough with our resources. A voluntary yearly recert to maintain your rating may be the way to go.

Those of our pilots whom just fly only FMC, GPS routings miss out on all the benefits of using the FS program to the fullest. I mean not using the NAV radios, or compass, etc..

We were looking into "certifying" different aspects of flight with different aircraft. This would not be related to the RETRO checkride. We have nothing specific, it was just discussion.

The idea behind our graduated checkrides is to get each one of us to utilize the real world procedures and hopefully use them each time we "fly". They get more invovled each time one takes a checkride.

As the ATR is phased out from the AAL real world, things need to start changing in the way we do business. So if one is interested, seriously, to take more certifications checkrides, something could be done.

Of course as always if one brings up an idea, they have to fall in line to help out. :D

Thanks.
Eliezer Resto
Residence: sanjuan
AAV Total Hours: 3627.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KMIA-TJSJ
COMPLETED TJSJ-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-KJFK
COMPLETED KJFK-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KMIA
COMPLETED KMIA-MMUN
AAL1285 MMUN-KMIA
LAN591 KMIA-MDPC
LAN592 MDPC-KMIA

Post by Eliezer Resto »

Hello im a RW captain with american eagle in atr-72 and yes we have to go to the academy every 6months one is recurent flight training and the other 6 months is a checkride. Its a good idea but for new guys and once in a while for seniors. In real world the FO goes every year of checkride and the other year recurent flight training that includes all manuvers approaches and emergency procedures. Any questions you can ask me.will cyaaaa!!!
ImageImage
Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2548.6

Post by Rey Ramon »

Although the idea is not a bad one, I agree with Wayne P. I feel our resources are stretched as is, and we are in need oh more checkride pilots with our current load. Adding more required checkrides would only serve to make the fun out of this hobby for our current pilots. Perhaps a yearly optional checkride would be more appropriate...or yearly for lower ranks, and every other year for higher ranks.
Pete Murray
Hub: KORD
Residence: Home of Buckingham Badger
AAV Total Hours: 4506.9
Previous VA Hours: 4038
Current Bid: AA1384 KORD-KLAX
AA237 KLAX-MMSD
AA533 MMSD-KPHX
AA655 KPHX-KPHL
AA204 KPHL-EHAM
QR274 EHAM-OTHH
QR836 OTHH-VTBS
JL708 VTBS-RJAA
JL58 RJAA-KSFO
AA2614 KSFO-KORD

Post by Pete Murray »

See??? I knew we could get some real great feedback on this issue!!! :o Keep 'em coming, some of our fellows may not know or are beginning to digest this. Great to hear from the training dept (Wayne) on this, yeah, it would definitely put a strain on you. Think of dozens, if not, hundreds of pilots waiting for a pass/fail to continue flying, me included. Flight hours (are you listening HMs?) would drop off due to "academic suspension". (Think of Animal House and "double secret probation") Ha ha j/k :wink:
Early on, seems like optional checkride is ok with some. How about folks on LOA/real world military obligations? Should they wait to get back in the left/right seat? I prefer to stay flying offline (I like my FS traffic setup as I have it flying around with Deltas/Citrus/Cactus/Chautauquas landing and departing), would the evals be online/offline, with FS9 or FSX?
Let's just keep status quo for now, although we might have to do something about new kids climbing into a Embraer for the 1st time. I can tell you there aren't many ERJ panels that are "simple" for starters. I started this hobby 15/20? (FS5, yeah I remember those days) years ago in props, learned the cockpit VOR/NDB approaches, and eventually got the hunger to start B-1900s and the King Air. Eventually transitioned to the Lear Jet (oh lord, that 1st takeoff wahooooooooo!! :shock: ). Had to put some time in there before tackling the default 737, lots of touch no gos at various airports.
Sigh....enough for now.

AAV786
Pete Murray
PJM
Kyle David
Residence: New York
AAV Total Hours: 9252.7
Previous VA Hours: 116
Current Bid: AAL2247 KMIA-KBOS
AAL2247 KBOS-KMIA
AAL318 KMIA-TKPK
AAL318 TKPK-KMIA

Post by Kyle David »

Hello all. Thank you for the input it was very interesting to hear each opinion.
Kyle
Arturo Carvajal
Screenshot Contest Winner x9
Screenshot Contest Winner x9
Residence: Ecuador
AAV Total Hours: 10683.7
Previous VA Hours: 315
Current Bid: COMPLETED KMIA-MMUN
COMPLETED MMUN-MMMX
AAL1031 MMMX-KMIA

Post by Arturo Carvajal »

Yearly mandatory checkride!!! as is in comercial pilots licence.
Checkrides are fun and challenge. Why not ?
Happy flights
Arturo Carvajal
ImageImage
Wayne Pierce
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2929.8

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Richard Devaney wrote:I'm not a big fan of mandatory checkrides. Even our promotion of rank or endorsement checkrides aren't mandatory. After a few years simming, I am still enjoying my hobby completely. :D
Xactly ! This is a hobby and a fun one at that. There are only two mandatory items in the AAV; 1.The acceptance checkride for hiring. 2. The file one FREP each 30 day ruling, which one knows before they step in the door, but , but it seems many pilots are not adhereing to. And yes I know real world items do get in the way.

No one says that one has to move up in the ratings. If you do not though, you cannot fly, for the AAV, any larger aircraft than the present rank allows, except for GFI's and Theme flights.

If one wants to stay at the trainee rate, so be it. DFWT was brought about in the hopes it would generate some greater interest in moving up in the ranks while learning about the ways and means of the AAV. There are several pilots still on the roster whom are trainees, and seem quite content to be there, and they don't have to move. I always suggest they move on out of the training HUB, but...

In my reply to the original post, I did say that any recert items would be voluntary. Again nothing has been planned,just talked about amongst a few of us.

I like this thread. It has some good potential for action.

Thanks
Michael Blakely
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Post by Michael Blakely »

Something like for the year you hold the recurrency, you get a 25% time bonus to your FREPs or something.
Oooo! A carrot instead of a stick. Nice idea.
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Todd Meek
Position: KLAX Hub Manager
Residence: Grand Prairie, TX (KDFW)
AAV Total Hours: 2812.3
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KSNA
COMPLETED KSNA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KPDX
COMPLETED KPDX-KAUS
COMPLETED KAUS-KSEA
ASA694 KSEA-KGEG
ASA989 KGEG-KSEA
ASA660 KSEA-KDFW
AAL2292 KDFW-KJFK
AAL1487 KJFK-KPHX

Post by Todd Meek »

I've been reading this thread and kind of seeing where it's going before I threw in my opinion. I actually think that a yearly checkride to refresh or critique a pilots performance is a good idea. I think 6 months is a bit much. I would have to say that Wayne is going to need some help though with this requirement as alot more checkrides will need examined. Now from a Hub Manager standpoint is there going to be a tool generated to keep track when a pilot is due for his yearly or is the Hub Manager going to be responsible for keeping track of all his pilots yearly exams? Doesn't really matter to me just curious if we do decide to take up this idea.
ImageImage
KLAX Hub Manager